Chattertool patterns add a neat, random decoration on end grain like box lids. These are created by using the Robert Sorby chattertool which comes with two different double-ended chattering tips and a handy scraper cutter. One chattertool tip has a straight and a pointed end, the second has a convex and a concave half-round end.
Chatter patterns are created by causing the spring steel tips to vibrate against the wood can be changed by altering the variables:
- type of wood
- whether working on, below or above centre
- speed of the lathe
- amount the tip extends from the chattertool
- shape of the chattertool tip
This random nature enables the turner to produce some exquisite, yet unique decorations. Such decorations can enhance even the blandest of wood. The scraper cutter is teardrop shaped and so has three very different shaped working faces to make it a highly versatile addition to the tool kit. Full instructions included.
- Premium quality triple tempered high speed steel (HSS)
- Hardness tested to ensure tools are not soft or brittle
- Hand finished Ash handle - 8 1/2" long
- Overall Length - 13"
- Made in Sheffield